The all time favorite classic sandwich with CRUNCHY Whey Protein Pops!
The PB&J Reboot
I don’t know about you, but from the time I was just a kid, the PB&J was a staple in my diet.
Since then, it’s always been the perfect comfort food to satisfy my hunger…quickly.
Little did I know that it was not only missing nutrients my body needed, but it was also throwing off my blood sugar.
If I knew then, what I know now, I would have done it a lot differently.
How many of you have said that statement at one time or another in your life? Well, you probably haven’t used it to reference the PB&J until now.
Here’s what I didn’t know that I didn’t know:
1. Peanut Butter
a) It doesn’t count as a complete protein: I know that a lot of people think of nut butter as protein, but peanut butter, or any nut butter for that matter, is an incomplete because it lacks the 9 essential amino acids necessary heal and regenerate the cells in the body…in particular for those hard trained muscles.
b) Peanut allergies in humans are the highest amongst all nuts… and they aren’t technically nuts to begin with. They are actually legumes (beans), which contain leptin and phytates that can disrupt the digestive system. I’ll pass on peanuts so I don’t pass gas.
c) It’s addictive! Studies have also shown that peanuts/peanut butter has an addictive characteristic. My belief is that any food that makes you crave more of it by nature, is something to manage in moderation or to avoid all together.
d) And they are frequently contaminated with a carcinogenic mold. Uhm…enough said!
a) Sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar. That’s 12 grams of sugar per tablespoon! Yikes!
b) High Fructose Corn Syrup – this commonly used ingredient in the most popular jellies, is a cracked out version of genetically modified corn, which just inflames a sugar addiction.
3. Grain Bread
a) Today’s grains are a far cry from what nature intended them to be. This is a result of over 40 years of genetic modifications that have produced grains that have negative effects on the digestive system, and the body’s ability to absorb essential nutrients.
b) Processed Grains easily convert to sugar, and negatively impact our blood glucose levels.
The Better, Healthier & Tastier Solution
- Replace peanut butter with your choice of almond butter or sunflower seed butter.
- Replace jelly or jam with your favorite fresh berries (minced or crushed)
- Replace grain bread with Paleo Bread
- Add Whey Protein Pops to balanced the macro nutrients (protein, carbs, and fat)
Check out this simple recipe here:
Minutes to Prepare: 5 minutes
Minutes to Cook: 0 minutes
Number of Servings: 1
- 2 slices of Almond Paleo Bread
- 1 tablespoon Almond Butter
- 1/3 cup strawberries (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 scoop of Whey Protein Pops
- Dash of Himalayan pink salt or Celtic sea salt
- Begin by smashing the strawberries in a small bowl
- Stir in half packet of coconut sugar and a ½ scoop of Whey Protein Pops.
- Lightly salt the Paleo Bread and toast it, or place on a dry hot skillet for 45 seconds per side.
- On one slice of bread, spread on almond butter
- Top the almond butter with ½ scoop of Whey Protein Pops, and gently press them in.
- Top the spread of Whey Protein Pops with the crushed strawberries, and top with the other slice of bread.
- Serve and enjoy.